In order to simplify your everyday online browsing experience, we’ve created a free Chrome extension called Hootlet. As a chrome extension, Hootlet goes wherever you go online. With Hootlet, you can seamlessly search the web and social networks for content and share it with your followers instantly. Search for social content while you browse the web. Share your finds across multiple social networks, without ever leaving the webpage. Search location-relevant social shares, or “Tweets near here” to find out what people are saying about a business or service somewhere.
Today, we will dive into the Hootlet Chrome extension to discover its social search functionality with Yelp.
How does Hootlet work with Yelp?
Yelp.com is an online review site and local business search service. Together with Hootlet, you can find out exactly what people are saying about the business, in real-time Tweets near the business’ location. Forget dated restaurant reviews, people are already Tweeting about it – you just haven’t had the tools to listen. Hootlet brings you that insight, pulling geolocated social messages that mention specific businesses or are nearby – right into your Yelp search.
Here’s How it Works:
- First, download Hootlet for your Chrome browser by visiting Hootlet.com and following the steps provided there.
- Now that Hootlet is added to your browser, go to Yelp.com.
- Search for the business, type of business or location that you were curious about (perhaps your own business?).
- Once you’ve found the local business and are on their info page, a Tweets Near Here button will appear next to the business title. For first time use, click Okay, Got It.
- Clicking on the Tweets Near Here button brings up a pop-up full of Tweets from people nearby, in an adjustable range of anywhere from 500 metres to 25 kilometres based on your needs.
- The social messaging that you discover can then be shared to your own social accounts without ever leaving the page. By clicking either reply or retweet, a Hootlet window will popup to allow you to edit your message, schedule, AutoSchedule and share out over selected social networks.
- To save this search stream of Tweets in a tab or stream in your Hootsuite dashboard, click the Add to Hootsuite orange button at the bottom of the panel.
To minimize this window with results, click on arrow tab on the left side of the panel. To turn off this functionality of the Hootlet extension, go into your Chrome Preferences, click Extensions, find Hootlet and click Options, underlined below. In this popup window, turn off the Show social geo search results.