We champion the power of human connection. We’re united by our shared values of grit, humility, building a better way, and passion for customer success.
Each day millions of people use Hootsuite to connect, share, and build authentic relationships. Knowing we play a role in facilitating those connections drives us. From Vancouver to London to Singapore—and across our 15 global office locations—our team of 1,000+ work purposefully to solve problems, build innovative solutions, and deliver results.
A role at Hootsuite will accelerate your career. Whether you take on a stretch assignment, take on new challenges, or follow a guru path to subject matter mastery—you will learn, grow, and make an impact.
Who You Are...
Based in Vancouver, BC, you will lead a talented global finance, FP&A and tax team, serving as a key business partner to the senior leadership team. Reporting into the Chief Financial Officer, you will provide both high-level strategic insight and operational management to support Hootsuite during their next phase of growth.
You will manage all transactional finance and back office functions globally and your responsibilities extend from operational oversight for the entire accounting function (finance, corporate accounting, reporting, budgeting, forecasting, treasury, tax, compliance, risk management, controls and related), to overseeing all aspects of FP&A, to managing key external relationships, managing all reporting and regulatory filings and providing strategic advice to both the finance function and cross-functional partners.
As a member of the leadership team, you will be hands-on in aspects related to broader operational activities, providing financial guidance and support beyond the area of finance. As a technical accounting subject matter expert, you will also provide their perspective on key change activities and other strategy-oriented matters, in a critical, measurable and impactful way.
You’re Great At...
- Corporate Accounting and Reporting
- Accountable for the accuracy of US GAAP reporting, internally and externally
- Generate all accounting data for the accurate preparation of quarterly and annual reports
- Coordinate and review the preparation of the organization’s subsidiaries’ financial statements
- Manage the completion of external audit and coordination of information to auditors for review
- Comply will all jurisdictional reporting requirements, in all geographies
- Develop, implement and upgrade financial systems
- Develop and enforce a best practices-oriented structure for the entire finance function, and set policies and procedures for reporting and controls
- Oversee the monthly close and reconciliation process
- Oversee cash flow management and related treasury activities
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Oversee all aspects of FP&A, partnering with the management team to provide business insights. Develop and manage the creation of high-quality analytics for functional groups, individual processes, transactions and financial information across the organization
- Own key FP&A processes, including as pertaining to Net Suite and Anaplan (implementing and modifying Anaplan as necessary)
- Lead the organization’s budgeting and planning process, establishing budget tools, timelines and ensuring accurate and comprehensive completion
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive process for developing financial plans, analysis and related forecasting (including rolling twelve-month cash forecast)
- Prepare annual bookings, ARR and revenue forecast
- Provide monthly reporting package highlighting comprehensive KPIs, with dashboards synthesizing business trends, budget variances, and companion executive insight/description of differences
- Develop dashboards and standard reporting templates for all FP&A reporting, for diverse partners and leadership team members (Board, CFO, execs, business unit leaders, etc.)
- Develop and manage information pertaining to competitive intelligence, customer intelligence, market data and industry trends
- Develop a T-date based close calendar for FP&A adhered to on a quarterly basis
- Develop a monthly cadence of meetings with budget holders
- Be abreast of changes in regulatory compliance with statutory bodies with particular respect to tax. Act as the conduit for all tax requirements, including liaising with lawyers, tax advisor and accountants
- Create tax planning initiatives to ensure the retention and improvement of financial strength and competitive position of the organization
- Oversee controls for filings of Canadian federal and provincial income, premium, sales, GST/HST tax returns
- Oversee quarterly tax provision processes including interpretation and summarization of results
- Develop treasury strategies that optimally manage cash in compliance with all corporate and regulatory requirements
- Support financing relationships and oversee operational policies, processes, due diligence and reconciliation activities
- Manage and administer cash management including structure, service providers, disbursements, investments, forex and interest rate risk
- Prepare financial reports and cash flow projects for the organization and provide analysis of results for discussion with the senior leadership team
- Controls and Risk Management
- Manage the implementation and enforcement of internal controls, in accordance with regulatory guidelines, best practices and the law
- Develop and implement appropriate risk management strategies to ensure cost-efficient and effective processes, including with insurance, foreign currency exposure, income tax, credit risks and other potential corporate liabilities
- Strategic Support and M&A
- Provide insight on M&A decisions and other partnerships that will affect the company, including contracts review
- Assesses the accounting impacts for complex transactions at the organization-scale and articulates the financial consequences of planned actions
- Provide financial modeling, analysis and valuation for acquisitions and other M&A endeavours
- Support quarterly operational and P/L reporting for investors and other external stakeholders
- Support and collaborate with other business leaders to achieve objectives as determined by the CFO and CEO
- Participate in the negotiation of vendor and supplier contracts, reviewing contract terms, structure and pricing
- Optimize and align the finance team structure to organizational requirements
- Staff and lead a high performing team of individuals, sensitive to progressing a culture consistent with Hootsuite’s mission and ideals
- Manage special projects as assigned by the CFO and CEO
- Undergraduate degree in finance, commerce or related field. MBA preferred.
- Accounting designation, preferably CPA, CA
- 10+ years’ experience in progressively increasing finance leadership roles, culminating in leading or supporting strategic finance activities
- Must have worked within a publicly-listed organization in a finance leadership role, preferably with global scope of operations
- Preferably, you will have leadership experience in SaaS, software or a related technology-oriented field
- Excellent knowledge of US GAAP financial reporting and SEC compliance
- Good knowledge of managing or supporting financial systems, including managing process or technology improvements
- Knowledgeable in management of FP&A activities, including the planning and budgeting process
- Experience supporting diverse and complex M&A activities, including owning key models and analysis, and providing commentary for discussion
- Strong technical accounting skills, including an excellent understanding of accounting for forex transactions, revenue recognition, acquisitions, deferred taxes, share-based payments and restructuring accruals
- Expert knowledge of all existing and emerging accounting issues and regulations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation aptitude
- Experience managing a large, multidisciplinary team
- Experience supporting or managing the IPO process a major asset
- Experience with investor relations an asset
Hootsuite is an inclusive employer. Every effort will be made to provide accommodations requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.