Hootsuite is more than a social media company. We’re more than a tech company. We’re a collective of creators and makers, builders and hackers, teachers and students.
We believe deeply that social media is revolutionizing how we communicate – and we’re driven by our mission to empower organizations to turn messages into meaningful relationships.
We believe that culture is the compass to success and so our culture manifesto is woven into the fabric of all we do. We seek exceptional talent that believes joining a passionate, egoless team that is building something bigger than themselves, and having fun doing it, matters.
We know you have a lot of choices on where to take your career next. Whether you’re based in Vancouver, London, Singapore or any of our 8 nests around the globe, you will have 800+ #HootsuiteLife peeps who will have your back to support your growth everyday.
Here’s where it might start…
Who You Are...
Hootsuite is seeking a Data Scientist to join the Datalab team. You will work with other
Scientists, Engineers, and the product team to measure the actions and interactions users have in Hootsuite in order to drive innovation on current and future products.
Individuals in this role are expected to have a passion for understanding social phenomena from data, be comfortable working as a quantitative analyst and to take on software engineering tasks.
The candidate should have a good grasp of a variety of data science techniques and the ability to use them to answer hard questions about our product and business. Merely knowing the math isn’t enough. Engaging with the right people to make sure you understand what actually must be solved is key.
Your creative mind dreams up solutions and your persistence gets you through the iterations of prototyping and implementation. Your analytics models will be gauged by usefulness, not novelty, complexity or mathematical beauty. Those models are going to be used and have to be kept up-to-date.
- Work closely with the product team to
- Identify and answer relevant questions
- Identify opportunities to use machine learning to solve problems
- Communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner to product managers and engineers
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Work closely with the data engineers to extend our data warehouse or put your algorithms to work on a cluster.
- Build smart algorithms to learn new data points from unstructured data which will help us to see our customers from different angles.
- Gauge effectiveness of products by designing and conducting experiments and applying appropriate statistical techniques on resulting data
You’re Great At...
- Curiosity, creativity, skepticism, and persistence
- 3+ years experience doing quantitative analysis preferably for a social web company
- Comfort in manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Hands-on experience with statistical programming using R to analyze and model data
- Solid programming skills & experience using machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, Spark MLlib in Python. Bonus if you have done it in Scala
- Prior experience creating meaningful visualization using ggplot, matplotlib, and/or other visualization tools such as Tableau
- Fluency with relational databases and SQL
- Experience working with large data sets on distributed data processing platforms
- BA/BS or Masters in Computer Science, Mathematics or other technical field
- Passion for social media and new ideas
- Effective communicator
- Drive to succeed in a fast pace and continuously evolving environment