Hootsuite is more than a social media company. We’re more than a tech company. We’re a collective of creators and makers, builders and hackers, teachers and students.
We believe deeply that social media is revolutionizing how we communicate – and we’re driven by our purpose to champion the power of human connection.
We believe that culture is the compass to success and so our culture manifesto is woven into the fabric of all we do. We seek exceptional talent that believes joining a passionate, egoless team that is building something bigger than themselves, and having fun doing it, matters.
We know you have a lot of choices on where to take your career next. Whether you’re based in Vancouver, Toronto, London, Bucharest, Singapore or any of our 12 nests around the globe, you will have 1,000+ #HootsuiteLife peeps who will have your back to support your growth everyday.
Here’s where it might start…
Who You Are...
You are a technical and operation-minded lawyer who has a love for data, technology, and privacy. You have worked In-house as product and/or privacy counsel, or at a leading law firm
where your day-to-day job consisted of providing advice on technology and/or privacy matters. You strive in a high-paced environment and are motivated by the vision to always make things #morebetter. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for advising the Product, Engineering and Alliance teams on legal/regulatory compliance, new product/feature launches, alliance partner matters, app directory and API integration matters, privacy and data security. Leveraging good judgment and a strong business sense, your first major project will consist of the creation and implementation of a global privacy framework under the new EU GDPR.
Must be open to relocation to Vancouver, Canada.
- Collaborating with business and technology leaders, information security and legal to assess and align technology and product strategies and novel data uses with regulatory, contractual and policy requirements;
- Assessing and implementing the requirements of the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (“ EU GDPR”) so as to ensure full compliance by May 2018;
- Reviewing and amending legal agreements with our customers, partners and vendors to comply with the EU GDPR, and assist executing amendments to agreements;
- Supporting supplier privacy compliance, including by maintaining Hootsuite’s global supplier privacy and data protection requirements and reviewing and negotiating data privacy and security terms in supplier contracts and data processing and transfer agreements;
- Support customer privacy compliance requests, including by assisting with responses to data protection questions in RFPs and customer audits and reviewing customer data processing and transfer agreements, liaising with business unit account representatives and legal as well as participating in negotiations with customers’ counsel as needed;
- Identifying business as well as technical infrastructure requirements resulting from the EU GDPR and working with technical teams to assist implementation
- Creating and rolling out long-term legal strategies around our products and integrations;
- Managing the company’s patent portfolio including liaising with outside counsel;
- Advising the company on open source project and software related matters;
- Engaging with the organization to raise employee awareness about Hootsuite’s privacy framework and impacts on the operations of our business;
- Building scalable and effective processes for the launch of new products;
- Coordinating with cross-functional stakeholders, including Product, Engineering, Business Development, Advertising, Marketing, and Legal teams;
- Providing data privacy, and product due diligence and post-merger integration support with respect to M&A activity; and
- Leading cross-functional projects and act as point of contact for the product and dev teams.
You’re Great At...
- Global privacy and data protection law, as well as working knowledge of EU GDPR, EU Data Protection Directive and other European privacy and data regulatory frameworks, and their application in a commercial, B2B environment
- Advising/working in/with tech companies on the implementation of their product development and privacy frameworks
- Exceptional communication skills with a knack for explaining complicated legal concepts in plain English
- Demonstrating excellent judgment, including the ability to make difficult calls and appropriately weigh all relevant factors of a decision while keeping the big picture in mind
- Ability to effectively manage large projects and expectations
- Getting things done, and meeting deadlines
- Providing business-oriented legal advice
- Understanding the demands of a hyper-growth global organization
- Working and coordinating activities across a large number of individuals across various departments
- Taking initiative and working independently with minimal direction
- Handling challenging situations in a time sensitive environment, and enjoying the challenges of a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- Going the extra mile to get the job done and done properly, but have fun while doing so
- Communicating effectively (in person and in writing)
- Previous In-House product or privacy counsel experience
- Technical background (e.g., a bachelor’s degree in a technical field)
- Fluency in more than one language (French, German or Spanish preferred)