Hootsuite is more than a social media company. We’re more than a tech company. We’re a collective of creators and makers, builders and hackers, teachers and students.
We believe deeply that social media is revolutionizing how we communicate – and we’re driven by our mission to empower organizations to turn messages into meaningful relationships.
We believe that culture is the compass to success and so our culture manifesto is woven into the fabric of all we do. We seek exceptional talent that believes joining a passionate, egoless team that is building something bigger than themselves, and having fun doing it, matters.
We know you have a lot of choices on where to take your career next. Whether you’re based in Vancouver, London, Singapore or any of our 8 nests around the globe, you will have 800+ #HootsuiteLife peeps who will have your back to support your growth everyday.
Here’s where it might start…
Who You Are...
You are a brilliant operation-minded lawyer who has a love for process, organization, and getting things done. You have worked in a global software company, where your day-to-day job has been to lead negotiations with customers and to interact with sales, sales operations, and finance teams. You have built processes, and led company-wide cross-functional projects leading to change in processes. You have experienced the challenges of a growing legal commercial desk, and are ready to take on the challenge of helping us scale our legal services as we continue on our global expansion. You strive in a high-paced environment and are motivated by the vision to always make things #morebetter. You have a minimum of seven years of legal experience with at least 3 to 5 years of progressive In-House experience (preferably in a management role), you hold an LLB or JD, and are called to the Bar of a Canadian province.
In your role, you will manage three regional counsels (located in Vancouver and in the UK) and you will provide legal support to our global sales organization. You will be responsible for organising and managing all of our global contractual and legal queries raising from Hootsuite Enterprise customers and prospects. You will be responsible for the management of the sales desk workflows to ensure all legal reviews are completed within the committed business SLAs and always with the best commercial and legal judgment.
You will be instrumental in building the global legal processes at Hootsuite, and help manage scalability of legal services. As this role requires both the ability to provide direct legal support to the business, and the ability to build and scale global company-wide processes, you are a unique person who can truly show your ability to work as a business partner in a team environment, triage a heavy and varied workflow, set appropriate priorities and effectively manage various legal projects.
- Managing global sales desk workflows to ensure that all customer legal and contractual issues are delivered in a timely fashion and with sound commercial judgment
- Managing all members of the legal team (currently 3 lawyers), including ensuring that any legal/contractual matter is dealt by within Hootsuite SLAs
- Providing direct legal support to the sales organization, including drafting and negotiating of sales agreements with large enterprise customers
- Identifying risks and issues, suggests alternatives that lead to the best solution
- Developing and implementing processes for contract and workflow management;
- Partnering with our Sales Operations, Accounts Receivable and Renewal teams to build / improve current processes
- Leading cross-functional projects and act as point of contact for the commercial legal team
- Regular travel to Vancouver (head-office) and occasional travel to Europe will be expected
You’re Great At...
- Getting things done, and meeting deadlines
- Providing business-oriented legal advice
- Understanding the demands of a large international sales organization
- Organizing, and managing multiple responsibilities and projects with competing priorities and deadlines
- Working and coordinating activities across a large number of individuals across various departments
- Appropriately triaging a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently
- Taking initiative and working independently with minimal direction
- Handling challenging situations in a time sensitive environment, and enjoying the challenges of a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- Going the extra mile to get the job done and done properly, but have fun while doing so
- Managing large projects to completion on time
- Communicating (in person and in writing)
- Seeing and proactively moving toward the bigger picture without sacrificing attention to detail
- You have at least 7 years of legal experience with at least 3 to 5 years of progressive experience In-House for an international software company, where your day-to-day has been a mix of directly leading negotiations and managing either a group of legal professionals or a specific legal function.
- You have a proven track record of leading cross-functional and cross-border projects leading to process improvements and know what an international sales organization needs to be successful
- You have experience with commercial transactions with Fortune 1000 companies
- Other languages (in particular French, Spanish or German)