Hootsuite is more than a social media company. We’re more than a tech company. We’re a collective of creators and makers, builders and hackers, teachers and students.
We believe deeply that social media is revolutionizing how we communicate – and we’re driven by our mission to empower organizations to turn messages into meaningful relationships.
We believe that culture is the compass to success and so our culture manifesto is woven into the fabric of all we do. We seek exceptional talent that believes joining a passionate, egoless team that is building something bigger than themselves, and having fun doing it, matters.
We know you have a lot of choices on where to take your career next. Whether you’re based in Vancouver, London, Singapore or any of our 8 nests around the globe, you will have 800+ #HootsuiteLife peeps who will have your back to support your growth everyday.
Here’s where it might start…
Who You Are...
You are a rising star looking to take on big-picture challenges at a company that’s growing as fast as you are. Your 3+ years of area-specific technical skills gives you a solid foundation as a tax practitioner, but it is your rigorous attention to detail, impeccable communication skills, and grit that will make you an impact-player on Hootsuite’s finance team as a whole.
Working alongside senior members of the tax team and Hootsuite’s external advisors, you will have a frontline role in domestic and global processes. You will be primarily responsible for tax compliance, but you know that there’s no such thing as “routine”: you will be called upon to contribute to special projects and strategic initiatives as they arise. Over time, your thirst for experience in the areas of international tax, transfer pricing, and audit defense will help you propel your career to the next level.
- You will be a key contributor to Hootsuite’s global and international tax compliance:
1. You will gather data, analyze it, and prepare outstanding workpapers for Hootsuite’s internal team and external service providers;
2. You will research tax law, case law, and tax treaties to give Hootsuite’s team the support they need to evaluate important tax positions; and
3. You will prepare income, indirect and other tax returns in cooperation with the tax team and Hootsuite’s external providers correctly and on-time, every time.
- You will play an invaluable role in Hootsuite’s tax accounting:
1. You will review financial schedules and GL accounts, analyze journal entries, and prepare meticulous working papers to support the preparation of Hootsuite’s quarterly and annual tax provisions;
2. You will prepare installment remittances Hootsuite’s income and indirect taxes;
3. You will prepare inter-company calculations in accordance with Hootsuite’s global transfer pricing policy; and
4. You will review and reconcile tax accounts in Hootsuite’s Netsuite ERP system, recommending adjusting JEs when required to ensure these remain accurate at all times.
Tax authority examination:
- You will support the finance team in audits and interactions with tax authorities:
1. You will liaise with tax authorities locally and globally to reconcile tax payments, liabilities and address routine queries;
2. You will assist the finance team and Hootsuite’s external service providers in gathering information in respect of any periods/issues under examination; and
3. You will assist the tax team in compiling responses to tax authority queries as required.
- You will treat other functional areas in the business as your valued customers in support of Hootsuite’s shared objectives;
1. You will research withholding tax, sales tax, VAT and other issues to support Hootsuite’s billing and customer service teams in helping our customers;
2. You will help track and forecast cash outflows related to tax payments and professional fees to assist in budgeting and variance analysis;
3. You will manage Hootsuite’s documents and files to ensure they’re officially at the team’s fingertips - now, and for years to come; and
4. You will perform various other duties as required, because Hootsuite is a fast-paced, dynamic organization and that gets you fired-up.
You're Great At...
- Tax and accounting, because you are a newly qualified CPA or are working towards your CPA designation;
- Going the extra mile, because you have a strong desire to develop operational tax skills and broad technical knowledge;
- Written and verbal communication, because you know the importance of understanding your audience and can cater your tax-talk to professionals and non-practitioners alike;
- Self-review, because nobody’s closer to the details of your work than you are;
- Working with a team to develop processes and controls, because there is always room for improvement;
- Working autonomously and as part of a team, because you will;
- Prioritizing and balancing multiple tasks and deadlines, because you must; and
- Being comfortable with growth and change, because it is a constant.
- Experience with US GAAP ASC 740,
- Experience with taxation outside of Canada,
- Fluent in a language(s) other than English,
- Experience with SaaS companies or SaaS clients,
- Experience with Netsuite, Aria, Avatax (Avalara), and/or Taxprep is an asset